Prince Harry cancels Dubai trip over Middle East unrest

Prince Harry cancels Dubai trip over Middle East unrest

Prince Harry has cancelled a polo visit to Dubai on March 19 due to escalating unrest in the region.

The prince was due to take part in the Sentebale Cup – which had been scheduled to coincide with the royal's visit - in aid of his Africa charity on March 19.

St James's Palace said Harry thought it would be insensitive "to participate in a sporting event at a time when there are matters of great priority to focus on in the region."

A spokesperson said he had been "very much looking forward to the visit."

It was to be the prince's first trip to the United Arab Emirates and he was planning on incorporating a number of engagements into the one-day visit.

He co-founded the Sentebale charity in 2006 to help children orphaned by HIV/Aids or affected by poverty in the southern African country of Lesotho.

Photo: © Getty

Friday March 4, 2011

Previous News In Pictures:

MORE NEWS IN PICTURES


Follow us on



News in pictures



Suggestions