Monaco palace denies Charlene 'runaway bride' stories

Wednesday June 29, 2011

"Completely, completely crazy": This is how the Monaco royal palace has described rumours that Charlene Wittstock tried to flee back to South Africa last week.

French magazine L'Express is claiming that Prince Albert's fiancée was stopped by police at Nice airport as she tried to board a flight home.

She was upset, said the publication, "after learning that Albert had not been leading the exemplary life she thought".

An official statement from the couple – pictured at an equestrian event at the weekend with Charlotte Casiraghi – said: "The Prince’s Palace firmly denies the allegations."

"These rumours, spread a few days before the wedding ceremonies... have only one purpose – to seriously damage the sovereign’s image and by consequence that of Miss Wittstock and to cause serious prejudice to a happy event."

Photo: © Rex Features

  • <
  • Monaco palace denies Charlene 'runaway bride' stories

  • >
  • 1 of 2




Most Read Stories

Follow us on



Featured content

Jennifer Lawrence

The latest news and pictures of the hot young Hollywood actress and star of Silver Linings Playbook




Suggestions