Hugh Jackman has been inundated with prayers and support after he revealed he has tested positive for COVID-19 for a second time.
MORE: Inside Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness' palatial Hamptons home they built from scratch
The Greatest Showman star took to Twitter to share his "frustration" just one day after performing at the 75th Tony Awards in New York, revealing that he has been forced to temporarily pull out of his role in the Broadway musical The Music Man.
WATCH: Hugh Jackman shares message of kindness
"I've frustratingly tested positive for Covid. Again," the 53-year-old tweeted. "My standby, the amazingly talented Max Clayton will step in for me."
Paying tribute to the rest of the cast and crew, Hugh added: "Maxi and all the standbys, swings and understudies around the world, you are the true heroes of theater. You give life to the saying 'the show must go on.'"
MORE: Hugh Jackman reveals hidden detail about wife Deborra-Lee's wedding dress
READ: Hugh Jackman announces death of his dad Christopher on Australian Father's Day
In a video accompanying his tweet, Hugh said: "This is just another reminder to me, I'll say it again, but the real heroes of Broadway are our standbys, our understudies and swings, and never has that been more obvious than in the past year.
"They give meaning to the phrase 'the show must go on,' and it will go on and it will go on."
Hugh shared his diagnosis on Twitter
Fans rushed to send well wishes to the actor, with one responding: "I hope you feel better soon [praying hands emoji]." A second said: "I'm so extremely sorry. Wishing you a speedy recovery." A third added: "Sorry to hear that, feel better soon."
In a statement, The Music Man producer Kate Horton said: "Once again, standbys and understudies save the day and, in this case, it's Max Clayton to the rescue. We're excited to see him perform alongside the wonderful Sutton Foster and we wish Hugh a speedy recovery."
Hugh stars in The Music Man alongside Sutton Foster
According to Telecharge, Hugh is expected to return to the show on Wednesday, June 22, 2022.
Hugh was previously forced to pull out of performances of The Music Man after contracting the virus in December last year. The show was canceled until January 6 following the announcement.
Read more HELLO! US stories here
Like this story? Sign up to our HELLO! Mail newsletter to get other stories like this delivered straight to your inbox.