Nelson Mandela cancels appearances after family death

Nelson Mandela cancels appearances after family death

In light of the death of his great-granddaughter, former South African President Nelson Mandela will not attend the 2010 World Cup as previously planned, his foundation said in a statement on Friday.

The 13-year-old girl, Zenani Mandela (pictured), was a passenger in a vehicle involved in a single-car accident on Thursday night.

She was returning home from the World Cup kick-off concert in Soweto, where thousands of people celebrated the start of the football tournament with musical acts like Shakira and the Black Eyed Peas.

Mr Mandela, 91, was expected to make a rare appearance at the opening ceremony in Johannesburg, but his foundation has now said he will be there only "in spirit".

Photo: © AP

Friday June 11, 2010

Previous News In Pictures:

MORE NEWS IN PICTURES


Follow us on



News in pictures



Suggestions