Spice up your salad with the wonderfully nutritious and delicious watercress. For more tasty watercress recipes, pick up your copy of HELLO! magazine, out now and visit watercress.co.uk.
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
For the salad
• 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
• 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
• Sea salt and black pepper
• 200g/7oz baby new potatoes
• 100g/4oz green beans, trimmed
• 1 Braeburn apple, cored and sliced
• 100g/4oz watercress, roughly chopped
• 2 hot-smoked salmon fillets, skin removed
• ½ unwaxed lemon, cut into wedges
For the dressing
• 4 tbsp crème fraiche
• 1 tsp cream of horseradish
• Juice of ½ a lemon
1. In a large bowl, toss the red onion with the white wine vinegar and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
2. Place the new potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Add a pinch of salt, bring to the boil and cook until tender (about 20 minutes). Drain and leave to dry for a few minutes. Tip into the bowl with the red onion, season and mix together.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the crème fraiche, horseradish and lemon juice, adding salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Mix together with the potatoes and onion.
4. Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Cook the green beans for one minute then drain and cool down with cold water.
5. Divide the potato mixture between 2 serving plates. Scatter over the apple slices, green beans and watercress and flake the salmon on top. Serve with a lemon wedge on the side and an extra dollop of dressing on the top.
See the latest food news and features here.