Cannes bans Lars von Trier after Nazi remarks

Cannes bans Lars von Trier after Nazi remarks

Danish director Lars Von Trier has been banned from the Cannes Film Festival and declared "persona non grata" after telling a press conference he was a Nazi and could understand Hitler.

A statement from the festival's organisers said they "profoundly" regretted the filmmaker's remarks, which they described as "unacceptable, intolerable, and contrary to the ideals of humanity and generosity that preside over the very existence of the festival".

Festival President Gilles Jacob said the director had been banned from the rest of this year's festival, although he would not elaborate if the filmmaker might be allowed back in future years.

Von Trier's current film Melancholia remains in competition for all Cannes prizes - including the top Palme d'Or award - but if it wins any at Sunday's closing ceremony, he will not be allowed to attend.

Friday May 20, 2011

Previous News In Pictures:

MORE NEWS IN PICTURES


Follow us on



News in pictures



Suggestions