Beard grooming kits have become increasingly popular these days, making it easy for men to maintain their beards or moustaches without a trip to the barbershop - and they're also a thoughtful, foolproof gift for the bearded guy in your life.
When it comes to shopping for a beard kit, you may be looking for just the basics, or you could be searching for a complete beard set with all the tools and grooming products he could ever dream of. There are soooo many options, so I've been looking at the best beard kits out there and consulting with beard grooming experts to create this list of the best.
If you're ready to shape up your beard (or help your fave bearded person level up their facial hair), you'll want to keep reading to discover the best kits to shop and get some expert advice on the best beard maintenance.
How often should you groom your beard at home?
“Daily beard grooming routine is key to having your beard in tip-top condition,” says Barber and Brand Educator Antonio Willis II of Beard Guyz. “Being consistent can have you looking and feeling your best. I recommend forming a routine and setting aside time to moisturise and hydrate your beard. For example, I created a schedule where I focus on my beard every time I brush my teeth in the morning and night.”
Celebrity hairstylist and groomer Michael Dueñas, whose clients have included Dermot Mulroney, Riz Ahmed, Machine Gun Kelly and Rob Lowe, also recommends taking care of your beard regularly. “Grooming your beard with oils and butters should be a daily ritual. The more often you add oils, the softer and more manageable your beard will be. Trimming your beard and shaping with shears or clippers should be twice a week if you want to look the same every day, with no flyaways, and a perfect shape.”
What should a good beard grooming kit contain?
According to beard expert Antonio, “When it comes to elevating your beard game, look no further than a well-rounded grooming kit. Think beard oils for that daily dose of hydration, beard balms for shaping your masterpiece, and beard butter to maintain that suave look all day long. A coarse brush is also a plus for shaping and taming your beard while removing any shed hair.”
If you want to be sure you're choosing a beard care kit that will do the trick - or, if you're giving a beard care set as a gift, one that he'll love - we've found that the most popular sets with HELLO! shoppers contain at least three of the following:
- Beard oil to moisturise
- Beard balm for control
- Shampoo for cleansing
- Beard conditioner to nourish and keep his beard soft and healthy-looking
- A beard brush to groom and distribute the beard’s natural oils
- A beard comb for detangling and styling
- Scissors for maintenance
- A beard trimmer to keep his beard neat
- A beard how-to guide outlining the best way to care for facial hair
If you are very low maintenance with your beard, don't worry - it doesn't necessarily take a lot to keep it looking healthy and moisturised. According to all the experts (and regular bearded guys) we've consulted, if there's one basic product you need in your beard care routine, it's beard oil. “You must have a beard oil in your beard arsenal,” notes Antonio Willis II. “Not only does it quench your beard's thirst, but it also paves the way for essential vitamins to marinate in your beard and have your beard soft and shiny.”
“Beard oil is an absolute,” advises celebrity groomer Michael. “It helps soften hair, add sheen and makes it feel less coarse. It also helps moisturize the skin under the beard to prevent flaking.”
And what sorts of ingredients should look for? "Jojoba oil is one of the best oils you can have in beard care products. It softens the beard hair and adds sheen… moisturizes skin and does not leave a greasy residue whatsoever. I prefer natural based ingredients as you don't need to worry as much for reactions to the skin; preferably do not do essential oils as those can dry your skin out.”
How we chose the best beard grooming kits
Whether you're looking for just the basics or a more comprehensive grooming set, we've put together an edit of the best beard kits you can buy. You'll find an array of options from Amazon bargains to upmarket beard care kits from various retailers and at different price points.
- Quality: While we (or our bearded editors, friends or family members) haven't been able to try every beard kits, we have scoured hundreds of reviews to determine which beard kits shoppers love.
- Accessories: If a beard kit includes not just products but additional handy accessories, like a beard brush or comb, or carrying case, it's more likely to have earned a place on our list of favourites.
- Style: Yes, we admit that aesthetics count too! So while some of these kits are purely utilitarian, we can't resist kits that are stylish, too, so perfect for gifting - especially trending vintage looks or luxe packaging that looks great on a bathroom shelf.
- Retailer: As with all of our shopping features, HELLO! editors only include brands that we trust.
- Expert advice: We consulted with grooming experts and the bearded people in our lives for the best recommendations for beard care and the best products you'll need.