A decent school bag is high on the agenda for teens at secondary school – and durability, comfort, size, and style are all factors to consider when hunting online. There's still time to shop their new term backpack, with plenty of deals available for school essentials including school uniform offers, stationery for less, and of course, that all-important backpack.
A backpack is, of course, not just a fashion item but good for their back health too. Celebrity osteopath Nadia Alibhai, who has almost 20 years of experience, comments on the importance of finding the right school bag: "A backpack shouldn’t weigh more than 10% of the child’s weight. Anything heavier will cause the child to lean forward and cause strains and pain in the upper back and also won’t help with their posture."
What makes a good backpack for school?
Style aside, choosing the right backpack for your teenager is as important for their health and posture as it is their cool. Our expert Nadia shares her tips to try and help you find the best backpack for your teen (which we appreciate isn't always easy!)
- It should be sturdy and the bit that sits against their back should be firm and hard to give support to the spine.
- The backpack shouldn’t be any wider than their chest.
- Both arm straps should be used as opposed to slinging to one side because that means they'll be carrying all the weight to one side.
- The straps should be wide and padded for comfort.
- It shouldn’t sit any more than 10cm from the waist. A backpack that is too low, for example, sits at the buttocks will cause a strain on their shoulders.
- When packing their backpack, encourage your child to place heavy and firm things, like books and folders, at the back of the backpack so it sits against the spine.
How we chose the best backpacks for teens
- Quality: We've read the reviews and picked the best quality backpacks to see them through the school year.
- Durability: It goes without saying, you don't want to be buying a new backpack for your teen every few weeks. We've tried to find the most durable, by reading online reviews and taking material into account.
- Expert advice: Using Nadia The Osteopath's advice, we've found as many backpacks that fit her criteria to keep your teen's back and posture in tip top shape.
- Functionality: No use sending them off to school with a tiny backpack, or one that isn't going to fit all the bits and bobs they need. We've found those with pockets, flaps, hidden charging docks and more.
- Style: We might not be teens, but we think the backpacks we've highlighted are pretty cool...
Get ready to impress your teen with our edit of the best school bags for teenagers.