Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 200g young broad beans, podded weight, skins removed
- 200g young fresh peas, podded weight
- 150g green beans, sliced
- 250g asparagus tips, sliced
- 950ml vegetable stock
- a handful each of mint and basil leaves
- 75ml double cream
- 4 tablespoons fresh pesto
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and soften the garlic, shallots, celery and fennel. It should take about 10 minutes. Add half the broad beans, peas, green beans and asparagus. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for about 25 minutes. Add the other half of the vegetables to the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes more.
Remove from the heat and pour in a little extra boiling water if the soup appears too thick for your liking. Add the herbs and cream and season to taste.
Ladle into warmed bowls and drop a spoonful of pesto into each to serve.