Dish type: Main Course
Preparation and cooking time: 2 hours
40g (1 ½ oz) Kerrygold butter, now softer
110g (4oz) chorizo, finely chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
100g (3 ½ oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 tbsp clear honey
1 chicken (1.5 – 2.25kg or 3lb 5oz – 5lb)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. First make the stuffing. Melt 25g of the Kerrygold butter in a frying pan, then add the chorizo, onion and garlic and cook on a low heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are soft but not browned.
3. Take off the heat, then stir in the breadcrumbs, thyme and honey. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then allow to cool.
4. Spoon the cooled stuffing into the chicken cavity and place the chicken in a roasting tin. Smear the remaining Kerrygold butter over the skin of the chicken and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
5. Place in the oven and roast for about 1 hour and 30-45 minutes (allowing about 20 minutes per 450g/1 lb), until cooked, basting occasionally. If it begins to look quite dark while cooking, cover with some foil.
6. To check whether the chicken is fully cooked, stick a skewer into the thigh with a spoon placed underneath to catch the juices. The juices should run clear. Also, the legs should feel quite loose on the bird.
7. When cooked, transfer the chicken to a serving plate and leave to rest for 10 minutes, covered with foil.
8. Spoon the stuffing out of the chicken into a serving bowl or onto a plate. Carve the chicken and serve.