Celebrate the Epiphany in true French style with Aubaine's Galette des Rois.
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1/2 lemon
500g whole eggs
500g caster sugar
500g ground almond
100g plain flour
1. Whip the butter and sugar, then slowly add the eggs until fully mixed in and fluffy. Add in the flour and almond powder and mix until smooth.
2. Place a circle of puff pastry on your workspace/counter with a diameter of 25cm. Using a piping bag, pie the almond mixture onto the circle leaving 2cm from the edge.
3. Eggwash the part with no almond cream on it and place a second disk of puff pastry on top, pressing the 2 joins together.
4. Brush with egg wash and with a paring knife cut a pattern lightly on the puff pastry with out cutting all the way through.
5. Cook for 30 minutes at 180C, then brush with a 50:50 sugar:water syrup immediately when out the oven.