These sweet treats from Tate & Lyle can come in chick, rabbit and egg shapes and make perfect gifts.
Preparation 1 hour, cooking 30 mins.
For the biscuits
350g plain flour
175g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar
150g unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg, beaten
2 tbsp milk
50g mixed peel, finely chopped
1 tsp mixed spice
For the decoration
500g Tate & Lyle Fondant Icing Sugar Pink
Yellow, blue and green food colouring
You will also need some Easter-shaped cutters – chicks, rabbits and eggs.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Fan160°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease two baking sheets. Put the butter and Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar into a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the egg and milk, and stir in the mixed peel and currants. Sift in the flour and spice and mix together to make a firm dough. Knead lightly until smooth.
3. Roll out the dough to 5mm (¼”) thick and stamp out with the cutters. Place them on the baking sheets and bake for 12-15 minutes, swapping the trays over hallway through, until golden brown. Remove the biscuits from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
4. Sift the Tate & Lyle Fondant Icing Sugar into a bowl and mix to a smooth paste with enough water to make a stiff but just spreadable icing. Divide between four bowls and add the smallest amount of each food colouring to create a pastel shade.
5. Carefully spread over the biscuits and place a sliver ball for eyes before the icing sets.