Sausage and cider hot pot
A warming, comforting recipe for a sausage hot pot made with cider
04 NOVEMBER 2011
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- ½ butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 large waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large turnip, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 450g/1lb Lincolnshire pork sausages
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 150ml/¼pt cider or apple juice
- 150m/¼pt pork stock
- 1 tbsp gravy granules
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15g/½oz butter
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas 5.
2. Place the sliced squash, potatoes and turnip in a large pan of boiling water. Gently simmer for about 5 minutes until slices have softened slightly but are still holding their shape. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan heat the vegetable oil and lightly fry the sausages, onion and thyme sprigs until the sausages have browned and the onion begins to soften.
4. Add the cider or apple juice and stock, bring to the boil, then add the gravy granules and thicken to your desired level of thickness. Season with salt and black pepper.
5. Place the sausage mixture into a large, deep, ovenproof dish. Layer the vegetables on top of the sausages, allowing the sausages to poke through. Dot the top with butter, cover with foil and place in the preheated oven. Cook for about 30 minutes, then remove the foil and brown off for a further 25-30 minutes until the sliced vegetables are golden and cooked through.
6. Serve with steamed seasonal greens of your choice.
- Please note, all comments are those of readers and do not represent the opinion of Hellomagazine.com
- Hellomagazine.com reserves the right to remove comments it considers offensive or not relevant
- Please focus on the topic